Crafted from an original model 1805 Harper’s Ferry Flintlock Pistol, these incredibly accurate, non-firing replicas make for the perfect keepsake, gift or collectible and are a must-have for any proud member of the U.S. Army Military Police Corps.
The model 1805 U.S. Martial “Harper’s Ferry” flintlock pistol, manufactured at the Harpers Ferry Armory in Virginia (now West Virginia), was the first pistol manufactured by a national armory.
Harper’s Ferry models 1805, 1806, 1807 and 1808 flintlock pistols were all identical and there were no changes in design during this model year sequence. The pistol was a .54 caliber, single-shot, smoothbore, flintlock pistol intended for field duty and was issued as an Officer’s pistol. Harper’s Ferry model 1805–1808 flintlock pistols were known then as “horsemen’s pistols” and were produced in pairs; both pistols having identical serial numbers. With just one shot readily available without reloading, a “brace” was the standard issue (a pair of two flintlock pistols was known as a “brace”). Horse accouterments also included a standard pair of saddle holsters. No serial number higher than 2048 has ever been discovered—and that is exactly half of the number recorded as produced at the Harper’s Ferry Armory. There are about 200–300 of these pistols known to exist today.
The symbol of the U.S. Army Military Police Corps
This pistol was the inspiration behind U.S. Army Military Police symbols such as the Regimental Crest, the MP Distinctive Unit Insignia, and MP collar brass.
In 1920, when a reorganization of the Army occurred, the original staff studies assigned 5000 infantrymen to the Military Police mission. Chief of Infantry, Major General Farnsworth, protested this arrangement because it charged him with troops that he would never have under his control. He won his point with the General Staff and the War Department created another temporary arm of the service: the Corps of Military Police.
A new corps insignia was needed, as well as a new-collar mark. The infantrymen carried a musket, the cavalryman wore a saber, and the Military Policeman carried a billy-club. The draftsman was instructed to draw crossed billy-clubs. The result was a failure. At saluting distance the MP could not be distinguished from the field artilleryman. The club insignia looked like crossed cannon. Next, the medieval military club, the mace, was tried. Beautiful drawings were made but looked like potato mashers. The MP was armed with a .45 caliber pistol. This was tried as an insignia but looked like carpenter’s squares. The .45 caliber pistol, like the others, made inartistic devices.
The heraldic section was reminded of the Harper’s Ferry Army Arsenal flintlock pistol. Everyone interested in the new insignia agreed and the Chief of Staff, General Pershing, signed the drawings and later approved the metal collar mark, still proudly worn by the U.S. Army Military Police Corps.
The device and its development were the idea of Captain George M. Chandler, War Department General Staff, U.S. Army. The original pistols for the design were in the collection of Major Jerome Clark, U.S. Army. Drawings for the insignia were made in 1922 by the Heraldic Section, Quartermaster General.
The “Crossed Pistols” insignia for the Military Police Corps was approved in 1923. The device depicts two scale models of the Harper’s Ferry officer’s sidearm and holster pistol of a century-and-a-half ago, rather than dueling pistols, as some believe. The Crossed Pistols have been the Official symbol of the Military Police Corps since its inception and continue to represent military and martial preparedness.
JASTRO Harpers Ferry Pistols and its website are fully owned and operated by JASTRO Enterprises Ltd., a Canadian company located in Vancouver, British Columbia.
HarpersFerryPistols.com website was launched in 2006 to offer Harpers Ferry Cross Pistols Awards to the US Army Military Police personnel. Our full-sized, award-quality, non-functional, hand painted replicas of the first U.S. Marshal Pistol, are accurate in every detail as they were molded from an original pistol – the Model 1805 Harpers Ferry Flintlock Pistol
HarpersFerryPistols.com is a website that is constantly being updated and improved. We have acquired state-of-the-art technology that enables you to SHOP ONLINE, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in real time, protected by our safe and secure environment.
We thank you for taking the time to learn about who we are and look forward to having the opportunity to provide you with the Harpers Ferry Pistols.
Our corporate mailing address is:
JASTRO Enterprises Ltd.
1562 Lonsdale Ave., PO Box 54017
North Vancouver, British Columbia
V7M 3L5 Canada